Current:Home > FinanceWilliam Calley, who led the My Lai massacre that shamed US military in Vietnam, has died -Capitatum
William Calley, who led the My Lai massacre that shamed US military in Vietnam, has died
Fastexy Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 00:39:46
GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) — William L. Calley Jr., who as an Army lieutenant led the U.S. soldiers who killed hundreds of Vietnamese civilians in the My Lai massacre, the most notorious war crime in modern American military history, has died. He was 80.
Calley died on April 28 at a hospice center in Gainesville, Florida, The Washington Post reported Monday, citing his death certificate. The Florida Department of Health in Alachua County didn’t immediately respond to Associated Press requests for confirmation.
Calley had lived in obscurity in the decades since he was court-martialed and convicted in 1971, the only one of 25 men originally charged to be found guilty in the Vietnam War massacre.
On March 16, 1968, Calley led American soldiers of the Charlie Company on a mission to confront a crack outfit of their Vietcong enemies. Instead, over several hours, the soldiers killed 504 unresisting civilians, mostly women, children and elderly men, in My Lai and a neighboring community.
The men were angry: Two days earlier, a booby trap had killed a sergeant, blinded a GI and wounded several others while Charlie Company was on patrol.
Soldiers eventually testified to the U.S. Army investigating commission that the murders began soon after Calley led Charlie Company’s first platoon into My Lai that morning. Some were bayoneted to death. Families were herded into bomb shelters and killed with hand grenades. Other civilians slaughtered in a drainage ditch. Women and girls were gang-raped.
It wasn’t until more than a year later that news of the massacre became public. And while the My Lai massacre was the most notorious massacre in modern U.S. military history, it was not an aberration: Estimates of civilians killed during the U.S. ground war in Vietnam from 1965 to 1973 range from 1 million to 2 million.
The U.S. military’s own records, filed away for three decades, described 300 other cases of what could fairly be described as war crimes. My Lai stood out because of the shocking one-day death toll, stomach-churning photographs and the gruesome details exposed by a high-level U.S. Army inquiry.
Calley was convicted in 1971 for the murders of 22 people during the rampage. He was sentenced to life in prison but served only three days because President Richard Nixon ordered his sentence reduced. He served three years of house arrest.
After his release, Calley stayed in Columbus and settled into a job at a jewelry store owned by his father-in-law before moving to Atlanta, where he avoided publicity and routinely turned down journalists’ requests for interviews.
Calley broke his silence in 2009, at the urging of a friend, when he spoke to the Kiwanis Club in Columbus, Georgia, near Fort Benning, where he had been court-martialed.
“There is not a day that goes by that I do not feel remorse for what happened that day in My Lai,” Calley said, according to an account of the meeting reported by the Columbus Ledger-Enquirer. “I feel remorse for the Vietnamese who were killed, for their families, for the American soldiers involved and their families. I am very sorry.”
He said his mistake was following orders, which had been his defense when he was tried. His superior officer was acquitted.
William George Eckhardt, the chief prosecutor in the My Lai cases, said he was unaware of Calley ever apologizing before that appearance in 2009.
“It’s hard to apologize for murdering so many people,” said Eckhardt. “But at least there’s an acknowledgment of responsibility.”
veryGood! (1)
Related
- Behind on your annual reading goal? Books under 200 pages to read before 2024 ends
- The One Where Jennifer Aniston Owns the 2024 Sag Awards Red Carpet
- Inter Miami vs. LA Galaxy: How to watch Lionel Messi, what to know about tonight’s game
- Single-engine plane crashes at a small New Hampshire airport and no injuries are reported
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- What's the best place to see the April 2024 solar eclipse? One state is the easy answer.
- Rasheda Ali discusses her concerns over sons' exposure to head trauma in combat sports
- Love Is Blind’s Jimmy Defends His Comment About Not Wanting to Have Sex With Chelsea
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- Bow Down to Anne Hathaway's Princess Diaries-Inspired Look at the 2024 SAG Awards
Ranking
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Raise a Glass to Pedro Pascal's Drunken SAG Awards 2024 Speech
- Decade's old missing person case solved after relative uploads DNA to genealogy site
- Ukraine-Russia war hits 2-year mark with Kyiv desperate for more U.S. support and fearing abandonment
- Friday the 13th luck? 13 past Mega Millions jackpot wins in December. See top 10 lottery prizes
- Inside the SAG Awards: A mostly celebratory mood for 1st show since historic strike
- Amazon joins 29 other ‘blue chip’ companies in the Dow Jones Industrial Average
- What caused the AT&T outage? Company's initial review says it wasn't a cyberattack
Recommendation
See you latte: Starbucks plans to cut 30% of its menu
Climate change may cause crisis amid important insect populations, researchers say
Why do we leap day? We remind you (so you can forget for another 4 years)
Brie Larson Looks Marvelous in Sexy Ab-Baring Look at the 2024 SAG Awards
Backstage at New York's Jingle Ball with Jimmy Fallon, 'Queer Eye' and Meghan Trainor
Jon Hamm and Wife Anna Osceola Turn 2024 SAG Awards into Picture Perfect Date Night
Death toll rises to 10 after deadly fire in Spain's southern city of Valencia, authorities say
Soldier surprises younger brother at school after 3 years overseas